Thursday, 11 January 2018

Mental Health Research

One of the underlying themes of my music video is mental health, and my protagonists struggle with her 'inner demons'. In order to understand how to portray this character I did some research into mental health and some illnesses that our video could reflect.
"Pyschosis" - a severe mental disorder in which thought and emotions are so impaired that contact is lost with external reality.
In my video I am keen to explore the break between reality and fantasy, as our protagonist is unable to function in reality (the home/school scenes) so she escapes to a fantasy she creates (forest scenes).
Originally I was going to explore Multiple Personality Disorder
"Multiple Personality Disorder" - characterized by the appearance of at least two distinct and relatively enduring identities or dissociated personality states that alternately control a person's behaviour.
To explore this I was going to have our character change costumes depending on which personality she is, because it's a music video it would've been hard to portray the change without any verbal speech. However we decided against this idea, as we felt it wasn't an accurate representation of this particular mental illness and might make it seem a little 'cheesy'. Instead, I decided to represent is through colour symbolism.